Do still have unmet needs as a result of the May flood? The Long Term Disaster Recovery Case Managers are here to help! They will walk alongside you to navigate local resources to help you get back on your feet.

Contact them today at 989.374.8000.


For the latest information on local and federal financial aid, basic need resources, county permits, mental health services, housing and more view the Long Term Disaster Recovery Group FAQ


To find help with basic need
resources visit 211.



Sign-up to receive volunteers alerts as short and long term recovery opportunities become available.


Help provide resources
for the greatest needs
in Midland County.


For corporate supply donations,
please contact Disaster Volunteer Manager, Bre Sklar as



Visit to see current opportunities.

Your health and safety is our top priority. United Way encourages only volunteers 18 and older to participate. We understand families often volunteer together; please note some opportunities may be better suited for minors than others. If you decide to bring your child to volunteer, you are responsible for them. We require you sign a liability waver for yourself and any minor children accompanying you.

Please fill out our volunteer event survey. Our volunteer manager will contact you to discuss next steps. If your need is urgent, please indicate this on the survey.

United Way of Midland County requires volunteers to adhere to the CDC guidelines and wear a mask in public. You could be volunteering at an event that is not staffed by United Way and might encounter people who choose not to or are unable to wear a mask or face covering. If you ever feel uncomfortable or unsafe, we respect your choice to leave the event. For additional resources and preventative tips, please visit the CDC website.


Call a Disaster Case Manager at 989-374-8000. They can help work with you navigate your recovery journey. This includes helping meet your physical, financial and emotional needs.

The short answer? No. Recovering from a disaster will take years. It happens in phases:

  • Phase 1: Government and agencies help provide people with basic needs like food, shelter, etc.
  • Phase 2: Relief. Homeowners report damages to insurance companies and FEMA
  • Phase 3: Long-term recovery. Long-term recovery can take years and involves many local, State and Federal partners. The Long-Term Disaster Recovery Group made up of community organizations, faith-based groups, corporations and volunteers work together to provide direction and leverage resources.

We are currently in Phase 3.

Even combined with FEMA, SBA loans, insurance and local resources, we may not have the money to get homes back to the way they were before the flood. Our goal is to make homes livable and safe.

United Way is providing up to $5,000 per household for those experiencing well water issues, based on a demonstrated financial need in Midland County.

If you are struggling financially to find a solution for safe drinking water contact Home to Stay at 989-496-9550


The Long-Term Disaster Recovery Group has resources (financial, volunteer, materials) available for residents in Midland County whose primary residences were impacted by the flood.

In order to be considered, you must work with the Disaster Case Managers by calling 989-374-8000.

Residents seeking assistance must apply through FEMA before September 8, 2020. The information previously collected from flood victims by the County for damage reporting is not submitted to FEMA.

To register for assistance go to or call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). Disaster assistance applicants, who have a speech disability or hearing loss and use TTY, should contact 1-800-462-7585 directly; for those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), contact 1-800-621-3362. The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 7 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. (local time) seven days a week until further notice.

United Way has partnered with Home to Stay to distribute $200,000 in short term housing assistance to those impacted by the flood. This includes help with security deposits, first month’s rent along with rent assistance for up to six months, based on financial need. Assistance will be prioritized for those help those living in poverty, ALICE and the many whose life circumstances have radically changed as a result of a historic flood and global pandemic.

If you are struggling financially to find a solution for stable housing call Home to Stay at 989-496-9550

For basic needs, supplies, and other resources please visit one of these centers. Additional resources will be added as the long term recovery process continues. See the Long Term Disaster Recovery Group FAQ for a complete list of resources

• Sanford Senior Center (offering personal hygiene kits and cleaning kits), 3243 N. West River Road, Sanford: Monday-Friday 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
• Greater Midland Community Center (Senior Wing), 2205 Jefferson Ave, Midland: Wednesday 10:00 am – 3:00 pm
• Greater Midland North Family Center, 2601 E Shearer Road, Midland: Monday-Friday 9:00 am – 4:00 pm

To connect with local agencies for additional basic needs assistance, please refer to 211.

Yes. Insurance companies are your first step. Contact your insurance agents. If insurance will not cover damages, be sure to get a Statement of Denial from the insurance company. Make sure to save all receipts and take photo and video documentation of damages and any work done

President Trump signed a Federal Disaster Declaration on July 9, 2020. This allowed our area to get money from the federal government to help people recover from the flood. The deadline for applying for FEMA support has passed, with the exception of those experiencing well issues.

If you need help connecting your home to water, federal and local resources are still available.

FEMA has extended the deadline to apply for well assistance only through November 28, 2020. To apply for assistance call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or register online at

There is also local well grant assistance available through Home To Stay by calling 989-496-9550.

If you applied for assistance through a nonprofit organization or other federal or state agency, you are not registered with FEMA. To double check that you registered before the deadline, visit, call 800-621-3362 (TTY 800-462-7585), or download the FEMA App.

No, these dollars do not have to be paid back and you will not be taxed on your award.

Your eligibility for Social Security or Medicaid will not be affected by FEMA.
If you disagree with FEMA decisions, you can submit an appeal letter. Your appeal needs to include:

• A signed and dated letter explaining what you are appealing

• Supporting documentation, such as a copy of a verifiable contractor’s estimate

Appeals should be submitted within 60 days after the initial decision. There is no limit on the number of times you can appeal a decision. The Disaster Case Managers can help you navigate any appeals and can be reached at 989-374-8000. Appeals can be submitted:

• By mail: FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program, National Processing Service Center, P.O. Box 10055, Hyattsville MD 20782-7055

• By fax: 1-800-827-8112

• Online via a FEMA online account: To set up an online account, visit, click on “Check Status” and follow the directions.

Just one, though it’s smart to get multiple estimates before hiring a contractor.

It depends on the reason. If your denial is for one of these reasons below:

No proof of occupancy. You were unable to demonstrate you occupied the home at the time of the disaster. When FEMA is unable to verify this information, you may provide FEMA with documents such as utility bills, a bank or credit card statement, phone bill, pay stubs, a driver’s license, state-issued ID card, or voter registration card.

Insufficient damage. An inspector determined the damage caused by the current disaster has not made your home unsafe to live in. Your home is still safe, sanitary and functional. If you disagree with the home inspector’s decision, you can appeal. Get third-party documentation in writing (bid for repairs, condemnation notice, etc.) that states your home is uninhabitable.

No initial relocation. You indicated on your application that you did not want to move while your damaged home was being repaired. This made you ineligible for FEMA temporary rental assistance. But if you since found further damage to your home and must move and your housing needs have since changed, contact FEMA to update your housing status and explain why you had (or will have) to relocate. If it’s within 30 days from the date of the decision letter, you can call the FEMA helpline and update your status. Any request made more than 30 days after the date of the decision letter must be made in writing.

• No inspection. When you registered, you reported the disaster has not made your home unsafe to live in. FEMA will send you a letter advising that you are not eligible for assistance because the damage was minor, and you were able to live in the home. If your situation changes and the damage is worse than originally reported—or you discover your private well is unusable due to the disaster—you may call FEMA helpline and an inspection may be issued.

• Insured. FEMA determined insurance covered your essential needs. Federal assistance cannot duplicate insurance payments, but FEMA may be able to help when homeowners or flood insurance did not. You may submit your insurance settlement records to FEMA for review.

The Michigan Department of Insurance and Financial Services has helpful information. Visit  to learn more.

Free legal support is available through the Disaster Legal Services hotline at 866-418-8315 and let them know you need disaster-related legal help.


Contact the Disaster Case Managers by calling 989-374-8000.


2-1-1 is a free number that connects people in need with the resources that can help—24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They are an information and referral service. They will not meet your individual needs directly, but can connect you to organizations and services that can help.

• Dial 211 from your phone

• Visit for access to a live chat or search their resource directory.

• Text your zip code to TXT211


The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is making Economic Injury Disaster Loans of up to $2 million available.

You can apply if you are in one of the following counties: Clinton, Gratiot, Ionia, Isabella, Midland, Montcalm, Saginaw or Shiawassee. This applies to: small businesses, small agricultural cooperatives, small businesses engaged in aquaculture and private nonprofit organizations.

Apply online, receive additional disaster assistance information and download applications at You should apply under SBA declaration #16760.

Applications are due to SBA no later than June 21, 2021.

No, those loans are separate from loans for the May flood. You should apply if you are referred to SBA for the May floods. You may be eligible for loans for both disasters.

Call SBA’s Customer Service Center at (800) 659-2955 or email for more information.


Contact Home To Stay Housing Assistance at 989-496-9550. They are working with United Way of Midland County to help fund (based on financial need):

• Security deposits

• First month’s rent

• Rent assistance up to six months

Permits (Edenville Township, Homer Township): Contact the Township Code Authority of Midland County at 989-837-6521. Additional information and forms—

Permits (Village of Sanford and Jerome Township): Building Inspector: Brett Spangler 989-859-8616, Electrical Inspector: Tom Chritz 989-205-6261, Plumbing & Mechanical: Greg Younk 989-513-6109

Permits (Lincoln Township): Building Inspector: Henry Pnacek 989-374-220 (2,1), Electrical Inspector: Tom Chritz 989-374-220 (2,3), Plumbing & Mechanical: Greg Younk 989-374-220 (2,2)

Permits (Midland Township): Building Inspector: Lavern Wyse 989-832-0620, Plumbing & Mechanical: Greg Younk 989-687-7765

Permits (City of Midland): Fees will be waived for all City permits related to flood damage. Leave a voicemail with the Building Department at (989) 837-3383. Individual inspectors can be reached at:

o Steve Taglauer, Chief Building Official –

o Mike Streeter, Electrical Inspector –

o Jim Armstrong, Plumbing/Mechanical Inspector –

Fire Safety Inspections: Contact Midland Fire Department Fire Marshal Tony Lelo at 989-837-3413 or or visit

Additional City building and inspection forms/information:

EGLE permits may be required when working within regulated areas such as the 100-year floodplain, wetlands, lakes and streams. ELGE permits are NOT required for construction outside of regulated areas and are not required to remove debris from the flood. For more information, visit or contact EGLE District Engineer Joy Brooks at (989) 280-1632.

The Midland Sanitary Landfill at 4311 E. Ashman Street is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. and Saturday from 8:30 a.m. until 12 p.m. Customers accessing the landfill will be required to show proof of Midland County residency. Debris generated outside of Midland County will not be accepted. For more information, please visit

If the floodwaters reached your home heating systems, you should have them checked for operating safety by experienced repair personnel.

If you need to repair or replace the appliance, FEMA may be able to help. Write an appeal to FEMA. You have 60 days to appeal and must submit a letter with a verified contractor’s estimate for replacement of the furnace or water heater.


Utilize common sense. Never pay more than one-third of the cost to the contractor prior to the work being complete.

Do research. Get two quotes to ensure you are paying fair market value.

Check references. Ask for proof of insurance and a copy of license to ensure you are working with licensed contractor. Check references.

  • Go online and verify contractor’s license. To verify a building/contractor, visit this Verification site or call LARA’s Bureau of Professional Licensing at 517-241-0199.
    • If the contractor is not licensed, do not hire them.
  • Search contractor on Better Business Bureau at
    • If they have less than a B, do not hire them.
  • Only agree on work via email or text to have documentation of situation.
  • Read contract thoroughly.
  • Did the contractor pull permit, or did the homeowner pull the permit? LARA strongly suggests that the contractor should always pull the permit. Permit should be pulled through local entity (township, city, county or village).
  • Set a timeline (via email/text confirmation).
  • Set expectations (in writing).
  • Take before/after pictures.
  • Contact LARA at (517) 241-9316. LARA will likely follow up with the contractor/company after claim. Generally, this will resolve issue—the contractor will then have X amount of days to “right the wrong” (this works approx. 90% of time).
  • If there are unresolved issues identified, it will move to the Attorney General office. LARA will give information for the homeowner (or Disaster Case Manager) to contact correct person/team at Attorney General Office.
    • Helpful link from Attorney General office here.
  • This process is not applicable if the contractor that the client(s) are using do not have an active/valid license number.This is why LARA/MSP stresses the importance of verifying the license prior to seeking any work with contractor.

Oftentimes, there will be little to no action that a homeowner can take against the contractor if the contractor was hired without the valid license number.

Small Claims Court is a small possibility, but you need ALL documentation very well and clearly stated. It is tough to navigate in general and rarely successful for homeowners in any case, but especially in the case of clients who are overwhelmed and recovering from significant stressors/

MSP has indicated that there would be very few situations (if any) that they would refer to Small Claims Court based on the limited effectiveness of this process for homeowners.


We are not accepting clothing donations at this time. As recommended by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, clothing is one of the items deemed unnecessary in a disaster situation. Please direct all clothing donations to The Salvation Army or Goodwill.

Please fill out United Way’s Supplies Donations Survey at by clicking the ‘Supplies Donations’ button. Once the survey is complete, United Way will be in contact within 48 hours to schedule drop-off details and directions. If the need is urgent, you can indicate that on the survey and United Way will be in touch as soon as possible.

If you an individual, you may donate to United Way’s Rise Together Fund to provide hope and resources for thousands of families who have been impacted by recent events. The Herbert H. and Grace A. Dow Foundation has generously contributed $500,000 for the initial establishment of this fund, as well as an additional $500,000 matching gift doubling your gift. Donate to the Rise Together Fund here. If you would like to give a corporate gift or grant, please contact Kali Cochran, director of investor relations, at


There are many options for healthy food throughout Midland County. Your first call should be to 211 to be connected to a food pantry, giveaway or other program closest to you.

Community Mental Health for Central Michigan (CMHCM) is offering up to four sessions of free therapy via telephone and teletherapy to community members of Midland, Gladwin, Isabella, Clare, Mecosta, and Osceola Counties.

Please contact your local CMHCM office to inquire about this service. Other crisis services:

• National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available 24/7 at 1-800-273-8255.

• Crisis text line is available 24-7 by texting home to 741741.

• National Disaster Distress helpline: 1-800-958-5950

• A statewide peer-operated warm line is available at 1-888-733-7753, which is operated by individuals in recovery who are available to connect one on one with you.

For updates, flood response information, and details on release efforts, please visit the following online resources:






• or dial 211

Yes. The Mid Michigan Flood Survivors Group meets every Tuesday evening at 6:30 p.m. via Zoom. To get access to this group–along with introductory materials, the Zoom link and group guidelines–contact group leader Charles West at 989-578-2834 or via email

Stay Connected
Stay up to date on important news and events with our monthly e-newsletter!
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.