Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is a tax credit for working people with low- to moderate-incomes. It puts hard earned money back in the pockets of families who need it most. Many people don’t take advantage of this credit, simply because they don’t know about it. This credit helps families make ends meet and provide basic needs like groceries, childcare, utility bills and more.
Who qualifies for EITC?
You may claim the EITC if your income is low- to moderate. The amount of your credit may change if you have children, dependents, are disabled or meet other criteria.
- To qualify for the EITC, you must:
- Have worked and earned income under $57,414
- Have investment income below $10,000 in the tax year 2021
- Have a valid Social Security number by the due date of your 2021 return (including extensions)
- Be a U.S. citizen or a resident alien all year
- Not file Form 2555 (related to foreign earned income)
Info above shared from irs.gov/eitc. Please visit their site for more detailed information. If a federal EITC is granted, the state of Michigan will provide an additional 6% supplemental EITC when the taxpayer files his or her state income tax return.
Free Filing Resources
File your taxes for FREE using United Way’s secure platform, MyFree Taxes. This easy-to-use system gives you two options – file by yourself or with assistance.
- Mobile optimized for computer, tablet or smart phone
- Most filers complete their taxes in less than an hour
- Completely free for federal and state returns
- File on your own or with assistance
- Powered by United Way and TaxSlayer